It’s the Australian Open tennis time in Melbourne and the city streets and the Tennis Centre are abuzz.
I have been watching the tennis on TV the last couple of nights (and of course Roger Federer – most people I know love watching him … and so do I!) anyhoo, I watch the tennis and my mind wanders to what I can takeaway for content for my next blog. I believe most people working in their own business find their mind never really wandering from business thoughts even when they are taking time out.
There is a lot in common I believe about playing tennis and running a business, and that for me comes from watching tennis, not playing the game myself, although I did play a game once or twice when I was at school, and that is a somewhat distant memory!
Some of the things that jump out for me as being the same are:
1. Once the player is on the court (their office) they are the ones to make the decisions
2. When the player is behind in the game, they are the only person who can make the changes
3. Mindset is a huge part of the game along with the ability to stay completely focused
4. When the mindset and body language are negative the results (points) are harder to achieve
5. Positive mindset and positive body language, both individually and together, lead to higher energy and winning shots
6. Trusting yourself and being prepared to make decisions quickly
7. Self belief in imperative
8. Doing the same thing over and over each day along with self belief gives the player a winning edge (practice, taking action, consistency and knowing what works, the right steps, and then making those steps a habit)
9. Working with a coach or mentor is very important so you have someone supporting you, guiding you on what to implement and then keeping you accountable
10. Surrounding yourself with positive like minded people who believe in you
Take these 10 points and ask yourself how you can apply these to your business or to your daily life to lift your results.
Oh, and add these two points as well …
11. Celebrate your wins both small and large
12. Acknowledge how far you have come and what you have achieved and then keep learning and growing and extending yourself
I imagine the tennis players who are winning have done the work to get to this point. Some have the vision and goal to be the best in the world.
They are prepared to do more, prepared to be structured and have positive habits, be aware of their mindset and know how to change that when they need to and also they would be aware of their feelings and what they lead to, as in positive or negative patterns.
Oh, and there is one last point. Being able to hold it all together whether you are a winner or whether you lose.
Being grateful no matter what the situation is a wonderful way to live life.
I think you will agree that there is a comparison between sports people and how they achieve a high level, or an elite level, and running a successful business.
Stay focused and keep taking massive action.
Be comfortable with being uncomfortable and keep going.